Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tutorial Tuesday - DIY Makeup Palette

For this week's Tutorial Tuesday I am going to show you how to make your own makeup palette!  Never again will you ever have to purchase one from Z-Palette (although I love them!) or any other palettes (ahem MAC's) again!

What you'll need:




  • Glue Gun w/sticks
  • A book (I found this at the dollar store!)
  • Foam board (also at the dollar store.  P.S. much easier to work with than the Elmer's boards)
  • Duct Tape or Paper & Mod Podge (I used duct tape) - I found sheets at Michael's but, I found the roll to be less expensive and easier to use!
  • Magnetic Sheets
  • Ruler
  • Pen, Pencil, or Marker (whichever you prefer to use)
  • Clear scrapbook sheet
  • X-Acto Knife
  • Utility Knife
  • Scissors (if you want to work w/them)

Using your X-Acto knife you are going to cut the pages out of the book.  I cut the binding and pulled out the majority of the pages and then I cut the "glued" pages out afterwards.  This is what it looks like when it's done:


I then measured the size of the book to determine how big to cut the foam board. I took off one centimeter for each edge for it to open and close nicely. 

Using my X-Acto knife I cut the foam board out and then measured one inch around the edges (this is going to make my window).  The awesome thing about the Dollar Store foam board it cuts much nicer than the Elmer's one; not sure of why that is but, from now on I am getting all crafting foam board from them!


Again, I am using my X-Acto knife to cut out the box in the middle to make the window section of my palette.


I put that aside and begin the "cutting out" section of the book.  I measure the book with one inch one centimeter and mark the lines.

Using my utility knife (the book is a lot harder to cut through) I cut out the window of the book.


The last thing to "cut" is the magnetic sheet.  I measure the back page of the book to determine how big to cut the sheet.  Depending on the size of your book will determine the size of your sheet.


Using my glue gun I glue the magnetic paper to the back of the book.



Now it is time to start Duct Tapin'!  I used two Zebra print Duct Tape sheets that I got from Michael's to tape on the back. Like I said earlier....the rolls are much easier to use...For some reason I thought this would be easier...WRONG. Don't deviate from what you know works!


I cut the Duct tape paper so that it hung over the edge of the book (that way I can fold them over) and cut a smaller hold in the middle window so I could also have that edge fold over as well. Of course I used the X-Acto knife to make the little awkward slits at the corners for a nice clean and flush fold. 


I didn't worry about complete covering the inside because I still had the clear scrapbook sheet to cut and place there. **I did it kind of backwards, and should have taped from the inside of the book to the outside and put the sheet on top, but I didn't...oh well, it still looks fine.  It just would have given me about two centimeters of height for the make up.  It still fits so I didn't worry too much about it.

I cut the sheet to be slightly smaller than the book and hot glue the edges.


While that is drying I duct tape the foam board. I choose to do contrasting colors to make it more "fun" and simply because I don't like boring...


By then the glue should be dry from the clear plastic so it is time to glue the foam board to the book.



And there you have it, you are done.  I think I might add a button to the top and use a hair band as a clasp to help keep it closed a little better.  

All in all I think it turned out rather wonderful!  

Do you have a DIY request? or have you made your own palette before? I want to see!  Leave me some L.O.V.E.!

Thanks to Shabby Kitteh for this D.I.Y. inspiration!

5 comments:

  1. Turned out great! I love zebra and pink together. I found you on Sugar Bee Crafts and I am an new follower. Come by and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great DIY! Thanks for sharing!
    If you like it, follow my blog about life and fashion in LA on Bloglovin'. Let me know in the comments and I will follow back ;)

    LA By Diana Live Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been searching for a DIY Z Palette tutorial because, let's face it, I would rather spend that $20 on more makeup! :) I found several out there, but yours is hands-down the BEST one I've seen! Thank you so much for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does this have a magnetic closure like Z Palettes do? My Z palette stays shut when its closed, I'm assuming because it has extra magnets in the lid, how do I make this one do that?

    ReplyDelete